Emerging Companies & Venture Capital
Our Emerging Companies & Venture Capital practice embodies the values of our clients: true teamwork and a nimble, entrepreneurial spirit that transforms brilliant ideas into successful companies.
We provide practical, business-minded counsel for companies at every stage of their life cycle and advise the gamut of emerging company investors—venture capitalists, angel investors, family offices, traditional private equity firms and other strategic and financial investors. Our attorneys work with clients to ensure that they are appropriately structured, scalable and positioned for growth and potential liquidity events, while navigating legal and business obstacles along the way.
We are often asked to integrate our considerable experience directly into a client’s management team—serving as outside general counsel, acting as a senior member of the team and participating in board-level discussions. We work with start-up clients and other investors to help organize and fund their businesses, structure their investments, protect and exploit their intellectual property, manage their employees, consultants and advisors and accomplish their business objectives.
We also regularly advise non-U.S. companies looking to establish or expand their business in the United States, including clients in the UK, Israel and the Nordic regions.
Our work in the emerging growth sector spans the full range of practice areas:
- Debt financings, including letters of credit, secured and unsecured loans, convertible promissory notes and SAFEs
- Employee compensation and equity incentive plans
- Formation and governance, including advice to officers, directors and boards of directors
- Initial public offerings and other registered debt and equity offerings
- Intellectual property protection, including the development, licensing and distribution of intellectual property assets such as copyrights, trademarks and brands
- Licensing agreements, including distributor agreements, global supply agreements, sales representative agreements, software licenses and joint development agreements
- Private placements, securities filings and other securities transactions
- Real estate transactions
- Risk management and litigation
- Seed, venture capital and growth equity financing
- Strategic deals including financings, mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, complex divestitures and spin-offs, and other business combinations
- Tax structuring
- Technology transactions such as software, data and content licenses, SaaS agreements, strategic alliances and partnership arrangements, joint development agreements, outsourcing, service level agreements, consulting agreements, distribution agreements, and related commercial policies