International Trusts & Estates Planning
We have spent decades counseling clients who work, live and invest across international borders. Our objective: to advance their wealth transfer goals by minimizing tax burdens across multiple jurisdictions and managing complex, cross-border property law requirements and restrictions.
In addition to their own considerable experience, our lawyers draw upon the experience of a network of attorneys and advisors from across Europe, Asia, the Middle East and Latin America. Our long-standing relationships with these professionals enable us to address a variety of clients, including:
- Overseas investors with significant assets in the U.S.
- Parents residing overseas who wish to pass assets to children residing in the U.S.
- High net worth individuals who require pre-immigration planning prior to relocating to the U.S.
- Foreign nationals who wish to acquire U.S. assets with minimal tax impact
- Beneficiaries of overseas estates with significant property located in the U.S.
- Beneficiaries of U.S. estates with significant property located overseas
- U.S. citizens who receive assets from foreign individuals, estates and trusts
- U.S. citizens who are moving abroad and require counsel on how to establish residency and taxpayer status
- Overseas residents requiring counseling on complex U.S. compliance and reporting obligations
- Clients seeking to take advantage of irrevocable foreign or domestic trusts
In these cases—and many more—we help clients restructure their assets and wealth to achieve the most favorable tax and regulatory outcomes.
Our international clients benefit especially from the experience of Kleinberg Kaplan’s premier Real Estate practice group, which seamlessly executes real estate transactions in a trusts and estates context.