By definition, joint venture transactions require lawyers who are sensitive to the often-delicate interplay that develops between parties, and skillful at developing win-win compromises.
Our baseline approach is always to listen to our clients and their partners carefully—we’ve learned that sometimes what the clients and the partners do not say is as important as what they say out loud. From this initial conversation, we craft a joint venture agreement that best reflects the business-level discussions and agreements that have developed.
We have leveraged our private investment fund experience to develop a specialty in joint venture transactions. Many representations involve investors in partnerships and limited liability companies seeking to form joint ventures with developers and local real estate operators to develop land for commercial and residential uses, to refurbish and reposition existing properties or simply to hold the acquired real property for the long term.
We have counseled clients on successful agreements, including:
- joint venture agreements for direct real estate investments
- mezzanine real estate investments
- investment structures with multiple tranches or tiers of ownership
- preferred equity investments
- companies with vertically-segregated series of ownerships
We have engineered joint venture structures that include:
- high-end commercial-residential condominium complexes
- luxury and regional shopping malls
- luxury branded to tourist class hotels
- planned unit residential developments
- multi-family and condominium properties
- medical office buildings
- health care facilities
- office and other commercial properties