On August 26, 2020, the Securities and Exchange Commission (the “SEC”) adopted previously proposed amendments (the “Amendments”) that expand the definition of “accredited investor” (or “AI”) applicable to private placements under Regulation D, and the definition of “qualified institutional buyer” (or “QIB”) under Rule 144A, each under the Securities Act of 1933, as amended (the…
U. ARINZE IKE
Arinze Ike maintains a diverse transactional practice focused on capital markets and private M&A. He has represented US and international issuers, funds, family offices and financial institutions in a wide variety of public and private capital markets transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate governance, liability management, and Securities and Exchange Commission reporting matters.
With an extensive background in capital market transactions, Arinze’s experience includes structuring and leading offerings of high-yield and convertible debt, secondary equity offerings, secured and unsecured credit facilities, Regulation D offerings, exchange offers, consent solicitations and other public and private equity and debt offerings, as well as seed investments in hedge fund, venture capital fund and private equity investment managers. Arinze advises domestic and international clients with respect to corporate governance and other securities law and corporate matters.
His M&A experience includes advising on complex portfolio acquisitions, joint ventures, stock and asset purchases, mergers, private equity and venture capital investments, and PIPEs.
Arinze was named a “Rising Star” by New York Super Lawyers in 2017.
Representative Capital Markets Transactions:
- Representing large and medium sized hedge funds as lenders in various secured and unsecured debt transactions.
- Representing lending arm of a hedge fund with over $30 billion in AUM in connection with $125 million secured facility.
- Representing a family office as a lender in connection with $20 million accounts receivable based lending facilities.
- Representing venture capital funds with over $100 million in AUM with ongoing investments in U.S. and foreign portfolio companies.
- Representing sponsors/investors in connection with the securitization of real estate assets.
- Representing various airlines in connection with the issuance of billions of dollars of aggregate face amount enhanced equipment trust certificates in registered and unregistered offerings.*
- Representing lead underwriters in connection with the issuance of billions of dollars of aggregate principal amount of bonds.*
- Representing investors and issuers in connection with the securitization of billions of dollars of aviation related and other assets.*
- Representing the Lehman Brothers Inc. SIPA trustee in connection with the winding down of various securitizations and financial derivative contracts.*
- Representing a newly formed private equity investment adviser in connection with the formation of a PE fund.*
- Representing issuers in connection with various public and private equity offerings.
- Representing investors in connection with equity investments in public and private companies.
- Representing a large trader in connection with an $600 million collar with respect to publicly traded equity.*
- Representing aviation, newspaper and print distribution companies in connection with consent solicitations and exchange offers.*
- Advising on United States Investment Company Act of 1940 matters in connection with securitizations and credit facilities.
Representative M&A and Private Equity Transactions:
- Representing a hedge fund with over $30 billion in AUM in connection with acquisitions of portfolios of venture capital funds.
- Representing a hedge fund with over $30 billion in AUM in connection with investments in portfolio companies.
- Representing investment managers in connection with seeding investments.
- Representing a hedge fund in connection with entering into and exiting real estate joint ventures.
- Representing a medium sized private equity fund in connection with seed investment in a venture capital fund manager.*
- Representing a pharmaceutical company with over a $100 billion market capitalization in connection with a divestiture and exiting from a joint venture.*
- Representing private equity firms in connection with a variety of mid-market acquisitions and dispositions.*
- Representing a media conglomerate in connection with acquisitions and divestitures.*
- Representing a printing company in connection with various stock and asset acquisitions.*
- Representing investment banks in connection with fairness opinions.*
* Work on this matter was performed while practicing at a prior firm.
Columbia Law School (J.D., 2006)
Duke University (B.S., 2002)
2007, New York
SEC Expands the Definition of Accredited Investors: Action RequiredNovember 9, 2020Client Alerts
SEC Proposes New “Finder” Exemption RegistrationOctober 16, 2020Client Alerts
In an effort to assist small businesses raise capital, on October 7, 2020, the Securities and Exchange Commission (the “SEC”) voted to propose a new limited, conditional exemption (the “Proposed Exemption”) from the broker-dealer registration requirements of Section 15(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended (the “Exchange Act”) for natural persons who…
The Force May Be With You: COVID-19 and Force Majeure ProvisionsMarch 31, 2020Client Alerts
COVID-19 has caused major disruption to businesses, commerce and the financial markets. With the CDC and WHO projecting that the coronavirus is only in its early stages in the United States, businesses and individuals may feel the burden of the effects of COVID-19 for the foreseeable future. As the flow of goods and services continues…
Material Corporate Provisions of the CARES ActMarch 30, 2020Client Alerts
In response to the recent outbreak of a novel coronavirus, COVID-19, President Trump signed the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (the “CARES Act”) into law on Friday, March 27, 2020. The CARES Act provides (I) unemployment assistance, (II) limits on paid leave requirements that were established in the Families First Coronavirus Response Act…
Summary of SBA 7(A) Loans under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security ActMarch 28, 2020Client Alerts
President Trump signed the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (the “CARES Act”) into law on Friday, March 27, 2020. Under the CARES Act, select small businesses are able to receive Small Business Administration (“SBA”) loans in the form of 7(a) loans (the “Loans”), which under the CARES Act are low interest loans from…
Kleinberg Kaplan Announces Partner PromotionsJanuary 15, 2020Firm News
Premier boutique law firm Kleinberg Kaplan announces the promotion of two lawyers. Joshua K. Bromberg, a litigator, and Arinze Ike, a corporate lawyer, have been named partners effective January 1, 2020. For almost 50 years, New York-based Kleinberg Kaplan has been a leader in advising hedge and private equity funds, sophisticated business ventures, prominent real estate operators, and family…