Premier boutique law firm Kleinberg Kaplan was recognized in the latest edition of The Legal 500: United States for its Investment Funds practice. The firm’s work on behalf of the world’s leading hedge funds and alternative investment funds was praised as “Wall Street’s best-kept secret.” Client testimonials lauded the “impressive” capabilities of the group’s lawyers and…
MAURICE COLLADA III
Maurice Collada helps independent money managers achieve their goals. He is deeply experienced in advising clients through launching and growing their investment management business while operating effectively and thoughtfully within the relevant regulatory landscape. He is genuinely devoted to the success of his clients, consistently striving to deliver a solution-oriented focus, sound commercial judgment and broad market knowledge in order to provide clients with the highest quality legal service in seamless collaboration with his Kleinberg Kaplan team members.
Maurice advises both start-up and seasoned private investment managers in all aspects of their business, including the formation, spinout, structuring and on-going operation of private investment funds and managed accounts of all types. Maurice is also experienced with SEC registration and examination and on-going compliance with the increasingly complex private investment management regulatory regimes.
With extensive experience in mature manager operations, Maurice brings a unique, long-term perspective to his clients since he has repeatedly observed how early decisions impact managers later in their life cycle. Maurice’s work with seasoned managers includes numerous private investment fund launches, platform restructurings, investor consent matters, fund re-purposing, varied side letter negotiations, placement agent agreement negotiations, employment and compensation matters, myriad conflicts analyses and fund investment structuring.
Maurice also has significant experience with insurance dedicated funds, including launching these specialized investment products, creating related compliance policies and procedures and negotiating with the platform providers and insurance carriers integrally involved in these vehicles.
Maurice has been named a New York Metro “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers since 2017.
- Primary relationship manager for numerous private fund clients, including both emerging managers with modest AUM and seasoned managers with billions under management
- Numerous master-feeder, standalone, SPV and other novel private investment fund launches of all strategies and across the liquidity spectrum from open-ended private funds to hybrid vehicles to more traditional venture and private equity funds
- Multiple management company formations and restructurings, including (re)negotiating partnership agreements for the principals and seed arrangements
- Restructuring and rationalizing the hedge fund platform of a globally known multi-billion dollar merger arbitrage investment manager, including multiple expedited investor expulsions and transfers, private fund structure mergers and vehicle spinouts
- Spinout of a private equity fund platform and related team on behalf of a multi-billion dollar investment manager
- Internal seed/platform deals for senior traders provided seed capital and infrastructure from their employer to launch a private fund and act as the primary portfolio manager
- Formation, structuring and operation of insurance dedicated funds (IDF), including standalone IDFs, insurance dedicated fund of fund structures and IDF subadvisory platforms, each of which customarily involves thorough negotiations with IDF counterparties
Fordham University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2010)
Fordham Law Review
University of Miami (B.S., 2006)
2011, New York
Order of the Coif
Practical Considerations of Insurance Dedicated Funds
Wells Fargo Prime Services Business Consulting Quarterly Report, March 2019
Kleinberg Kaplan Praised as ‘Wall Street’s best-kept secret’ in Latest Edition of The Legal 500: United StatesJune 23, 2020FEATURED PUBLICATION, Firm News
SEC OCIE Issues Guidance on Investment Advisers’ Recordkeeping Requirements for Electronic MessagingJanuary 15, 2019Client Alerts, FEATURED PUBLICATION
On December 14, 2018, the Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations (“OCIE“) of the Securities and Exchange Commission (the “SEC“) issued a risk alert (the “Risk Alert“) to remind SEC-registered investment advisers (“RIAs“) of their obligations when their personnel use electronic messaging, such as text messages, instant messaging, personal email or messaging apps, and to…
The ABCs of IDFs – A Brief Introduction to Insurance Dedicated FundsJune 6, 2018Client Alerts, FEATURED PUBLICATION
Given the recent attention in the media on investing in hedge funds without paying taxes on current income, it seems well timed to revisit the basic elements of insurance dedicated funds for the sake of the fund manager that might be interested in adding such a product to their platform in order to attract new…
Further SEC Sanctions Indicate Continued Attention to Rule 105 Short Selling ViolationsSeptember 30, 2014Client Alerts
On September 16, 2014, the Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) announced that it charged 19 firms and an individual trader with violations of Rule 105 of Regulation M under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 (“Rule 105”). This round of sanctions follows the largest Rule 105 sanction ($7.2 million) announced in March of this year…