Max Karpel advises private investment and hedge funds, as well as public and private companies, on a wide range of corporate and securities matters. He also advises hedge fund managers on corporate and business matters, including the structuring and formation of new funds, side letters and employment and equity compensation arrangements. Max represents hedge funds in connection with corporate and securities transactions and shareholder activism. He also represents purchasers and sellers of hedge fund management companies. Max also represents startup companies in connection with private offerings of debt and equity.
A significant part of Max’s practice involves Israeli matters. He advises Israeli hedge fund managers in connection with U.S. activities. He also represents U.S. and international investors in Israeli high-tech ventures and Israeli clients raising capital and making investments in the United States and Europe.
•Paulson & Co. Inc., on behalf of the several investment funds and accounts managed by it, in connection with its investment in Detour Gold Corporation
• Paulson & Co. Inc., on behalf of the several investment funds and accounts managed by it, in connection with its investment in Caesars Entertainment Corporation
• Paulson & Co. Inc., on behalf of the several investment funds and accounts managed by it, in connection with its investments in CNO Financial Group, Inc.
• Elliott Associates, L.P. in connection with Elliott’s credit bid with other lenders to acquire certain Delphi assets
• Elliott Associates, L.P. in connection with its bid to acquire the assets of SemMaterials, L.P. under §363 of the Bankruptcy Code
• Bank Hapoalim B.M., one of Israel's largest banks, in connection with its agreement to acquire 50.01% of NuVerse Advisors LLC, a New York-based investment manager
• Elliott Associates, L.P. in a proxy contest resulting in the open-ending of The Salomon Brothers Fund, Inc., the oldest and largest closed-end fund in the Citigroup family of funds
• Invensys plc in its divestment of its shares in Foxboro NMR Ltd.
2000, New York
New York University School of Law (J.D., 1999)
Staff Editor, New York University Journal of International Law and Politics
Yale University (B.A., 1996)
New York City Bar Association (Corporation Law Committee, 2009-)
American Bar Association
"Hedge Funds and the Law," Yale Law School course, guest speaker, September 15, 2011
ARTICLES AND LINKS: