Chris Davis chairs Kleinberg Kaplan's Mergers and Acquisitions and Investor Activism Groups. He advises domestic and international clients on mergers, stock and asset purchases, shareholder activism, proxy contests and tender offers, restructurings, workouts and bankruptcy sales, stock-for-stock mergers, auction sales, defensive and target reviews, joint ventures, divestitures, financings and minority investments in public and private companies. He has represented investment funds, start-up and mature companies, merchant banks and financial institutions and individuals in general corporate work and in numerous investments, private placements, loans, PIPEs, employment negotiations, Hart-Scott-Rodino filings and business combinations.
Recent representations include:
- Mangrove Partners in its settlement with SunCoke Energy, Inc.
- Assisting Elliott Associates L.P. in its investment in Alcoa Inc.
- Ides Capital Management L.P. in its proxy contest against Boingo Wireless, Inc.
- Engine Capital, L.P. in its settlement with CST Brands, Inc.
- Mangrove Partners in gaining a Board seat at Fifth Street Asset Management Inc.
- The D3 Family of Funds in gaining a Board seat at Rosetta Stone, Inc.
- Mangrove Partners in connection with its activist investment in Home Loan Servicing Solutions, Ltd.
- Luxor Capital Group in connection with its negotiation of a settlement for board representation at BJ’s Restaurants, Inc.
- Lane Five Capital Management in its campaign to add directors to the Board of Ambassadors Group, Inc.
- Lane Five Capital Management as part of a group bidding for Learning Tree International and successfully opposing a bid by Learning Tree’s founder
- BBR Partners, LLC in connection with the sale of a minority equity interest to Lincoln Peak Capital
- A consortium member in connection with a joining acquisition of a prominent Lloyd’s managing agency
- Third Avenue in its joint venture with a public company to purchase the assets of a leading modular home manufacturer out of bankruptcy
- Elliott Associates, L.P. in connection with its acquisition of 100% of Vulcan Insurance Managers, LLC's majority stake in ICAT Holdings, LLC, a catastrophe insurance company and underwriter of a Lloyd's of London syndicate
- Basso Private Series LLC in the sale of 100% of its majority interest in Independent Brewers United, Inc., the maker of Magic Hat and Pyramid beers, to a subsidiary of North American Breweries Inc., the brewery platform of KPS Capital Partners LP
- Elliott Associates, L.P. in a proxy contest resulting in the open-ending of The Salomon Brothers Fund, Inc., the oldest and largest closed-end fund in the Citigroup family of funds
- Paulson & Co. Inc., on behalf of the several investment funds and accounts managed by it, in connection with its investments in Conseco, Inc.
- Elliott Associates, L.P. in connection with its bid to acquire the assets of SemMaterials, L.P. under §363 of the Bankruptcy Code
- Elliott Associates, L.P. in connection with Elliott's credit bid with other lenders to acquire certain Delphi assets
- DellaCamera Capital Management in its campaign to unlock shareholder value in Enzon Pharmaceuticals, Inc., including by removing the CEO through a shareholder consent solicitation. As a result of DellaCamera's campaign, Enzon's Board of Directors separated the roles of CEO and Chairman, appointed a new Chairman, and added a new independent member of the Board
- Bank Hapoalim B.M., one of Israel's largest banks, in connection with its agreement to acquire 50.01% of NuVerse Advisors LLC, a New York-based investment manager
- Third Avenue, on behalf of a consortium of hedge funds, in its reorganization, refinancing and purchase out of bankruptcy of a luxury golf course development in Texas
- Elliott Associates, L.P. in connection with the sale of its interest in the stock and notes of Answer Financial Inc. to the affiliates of White Mountains Insurance Group, and the related prepackaged plan of reorganization of Answer Financial, Inc. under Chapter 11 of the bankruptcy code
- Luxor Capital Partners, L.P., a New York based hedge fund, in the sale of its 50% interest in Palladon Iron Corporation, an iron ore mining company, for a total purchase price of $65 million to Palladon Ventures Ltd., a publicly-traded company listed on the Toronto Venture Exchange
- The principals of Brookville Capital Management, L.P. in the sale of Brookville's assets to Morgan Stanley
- Burlingame Asset Management, the largest independent stockholder of Everlast Worldwide, Inc., in the public fight for control of Everlast
- Esopus Creek Value, LP and Black Horse Capital, New York-based hedge funds, in a suit against Metromedia International Group Inc., a Delaware corporation and its board. The hedge funds challenged Metromedia's efforts to sell the company's remaining assets without obtaining the consent of its common stockholders. Metromedia had planned to file for bankruptcy and quickly sell the assets to avoid Delaware's ban on such a sale
- A large shareholder of ShopKo Stores, Inc. in opposing an announced sale transaction, eventually resulting in a substantially improved offer in which that shareholder participated in the acquiring bid
EDUCATION Syracuse University (J.D., cum laude, 1989)
Syracuse University Scholar Lead Articles Editor and Symposium Editor, Syracuse University Journal of International Law and Commerce
Georgetown University (A.B., cum laude, 1986)
BAR ADMISSION 1991, New York
MEMBER New York City Bar Association